Monday, March 18, 2013

3 month post surgery update

Kali has had her shunt for 3 months now. When she got her shunt my biggest fear was her first sickness. Well Kali has a good ol' case of the snuffles and I have been able to calmly accept that and not rush her to the ER. (giving self high 5) Aubrey is sick as well, so it's easy to spot this one as just a cold. I can't say the next bug won't scare us but for now we are keeping our cool.

Now that we are 3 months out I can see things so differently. Here are just a few.

Kali can sleep now. For almost 6 months Kali only slept when nursed into a deep sleep. Between the hours of 7am-9pm she only cat napped in my arms or in a car seat. She would sleep through the night on occasion. Now she takes 2 naps a day and sleeps thru most nights.

Kali likes a swing now. Kali never liked swings bouncers etc. We tried everything. Now she will swing for about 25-30 min. just long enough for me to get ready for the day. Let just say it's a bit quieter around the house.

Kali is still happy. She has always had a happy disposition but she seems happier and more ready to laugh with us.
Before the Shunt 12/17/2012
After 3/17/13

So to say is simply Kali's shunt changed our lives around here, for the better. She is healthier and happier. In the mornings I can get a few chores done around the house, play and read books with the girls. In the afternoons I have a free moment to help with homework or play a game with Logan. I don't always prep dinner with a baby in my arms. I'm at a loss now because we used to go out and run errands so Kali could nap and now I am at home with a napping baby. We even potty trained little miss Aubrey this past week.

Now Kali has moved onto the next phase in her life, Baby School. Kamryn and I have always played baby school with Kali teaching her to sit up, play with toys and roll over. Kali is starting physical occupational and developmental therapy once a week but I think we will stick with calling it Baby School because it's just too cute. I'm sure she'll be a start student!


No comments: