We had only been home from the hospital 15 minutes when
there was a knock at my door. My neighbor delivering Christmas cookies. I
hurried and covered Kali’s head with a blanket while opening the door, of
course the blanket fell off and right in front of my neighbor was Kali’s new
incision. She looked at me and questioned what it was. I informed her rather
casually that Kali just got back from the hospital where she had surgery. What
a difference 24 hours makes.
Kali 30 hours after surgery.
When Kali went in for her 2-month checkup we saw a huge jump
in her head size. It was the first of many times that we would wonder if she
was going to need a shunt placed.
December 10th I took Kali for a head ultrasound
and visit with Neurology. I don’t claim to be a doctor but when they were
looking at her head and I saw the measurements I knew they were growing and too
quickly. So when our doctor informed me later that afternoon that we needed to
put a shunt in. I wasn’t surprised, I was disappointed. It was obviously not what we had been hoping
and praying for, but we knew if she needed a shunt it would be best for her.
We decided to go ahead with surgery as quickly as possible.
It was a whole lot of planning and worrying in the short amount of time but I
am thankful we did it so quickly because I would have driven myself crazy with
worry.
Monday we went in for our pre-op appointment and were taught
more about the shunt and how it worked. We actually saw one similar to the one
that would be placed in Kali the next day. That was hard to see. Knowing that
little thing could help her so much but at the same time malfunction and cause
her pain.
Tuesday morning I was a ball of nerves. Luckily very
occupied with a baby who didn’t understand why Momma wouldn’t feed her. By the
time she was ready for surgery she had resorted to looking for milk on my face,
arms, neck, and shoulder. Every time a new doctor who walked in she stopped
fussing long enough to smile at them pretty, probably hoping they would give
her a bottle for a smile. She left pretty happy the nurse who took her let us
give her one last kiss and walked right out the room. Followed by a team of
doctors pushing her bed, “We’ll take good care of her.” Then they were gone. As
we walked to the waiting room tears in our eyes I told Henry, “They didn’t
change their mind.” My last hope that she wouldn’t need this was gone, and our
baby was in surgery.
The doctor was out fairly quickly, especially in comparison
to one family we saw waiting their daughters 5-6 hour procedure. She did
beautifully they shunt was in place and we should be called back to see her
very soon. We thought soon meant 15 minutes. “Soon” was an hour. The whole time
her status being listed as, in operating room.
Finally we were escorted back to see her. As we approached I
saw this chubby sad baby crying in a raspy voice. Wait that was our baby? When
they handed her to me I wasn’t even sure she was mine. I even checked her
wristband. She settled right down with me and finally got that food she had
been looking for. I wasn’t sure how to hold her afraid I would hurt her it was
like the first time I ever held Logan. I held her for about an hour and then let
Henry have time with her. Finally we were taken up to her room where we would
spend the night.
Slowly she became my Kali again, more alert, crying
less raspy. Her head didn’t look as scary as I imagined. 24 hours after the
surgery they were ready to send her home.
She is doing well, I think the pain is starting to subside,
I hope so because last night was a long night.
Henry pointed out how nice it was to finally see her soft
spot, well soft.
So we begin a new chapter in our lives with a beautiful
happy baby who has Spina Bifida and a shunt.
We pray that her shunt will not become infected or
malfunction, if and when it does that we will be able to react quickly to have
it revised.
I could write even more if I listed all the blessings we
have had. Henry and I were strengthened beyond our capacity as parents. Kali
was strong and healthy. Our other 3 kids were brave to have a long sleepover
with their cousins.
Now we are all home together ready for Christmas, thankful
for the love of God that we feel everyday. For miracles we know happen all around us.



2 comments:
You are such a strong woman, Diana! I know the Lord is watching out for you all and that Kali is one special babe. God bless! Snuggle them all close this Christmas. Love you all!
I have watched your journey and have been touched by your faith and positive outlook. I know this is not easy and I know that the worry is always in the back of your mind, but you all seem to be doing well. Give that cute little one a hug from Moab and hope all continues to go well. Gail
Post a Comment